Monday, May 2, 2011

Love Always

photo via
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr. 
I wasn't going to post anything about the recent news because I didn't want to say anything that could be misinterpreted and then offensive. That is, until I noticed something about how it was affecting me. [And let me just start off by saying, if something I say offends you, it is certainly not my intention.]
We had some friends over last night so we didn't hear of the news until we were getting ready for bed, when Jakub checked his iPhone and saw all the posts on facebook. He read some of them to me, things like "God bless America!" and "Praise Jesus!" I stood, shocked, and wondering if those people really meant what they were saying. Are they asking God to bless America for killing someone?! Do they think Jesus wants that praise?! 
I got sick to my stomach. How could these people get so excited about someone being murdered and then praise their God for it? How could they do that and still think that the extremists are crazy for thinking their God would be pleased at the death of others? How could someone who preaches love to the world be so hateful?
I had so many questions coming out of my mouth and with each one, I grew more and more intolerant of the people I shared a faith, community and country with. This was not the America I believe in and it certainly wasn't the religion I hold dear. I was getting angry. Osama bin Laden was a human being, and though he ruined thousands of lives around the world, God loved him. The judgement seat does not have my name on it, and as the hands and feet of Christ, it is only my place to show love and mercy. 
I understand all the reasons why people would be relieved at the news, that the efforts of the past 10 years have not been put to waste, that the families will feel some sort of justice, and maybe this might bring some feelings of security to people around the world. I just couldn't understand how anyone would be celebrating the death of a man created in the image of God. How could Christians be so merciless?
That's when I realized something: I was just like them. I was pointing my finger and looking down on them. I climbed up into the judgement seat and tried to give a verdict of my own. I didn't respond to their actions with love and understanding, and definitely not mercy. I was full of anger. (I think "rage" is a more fitting term.) I wanted them to act in a way that I wasn't acting toward them!
I thought of one of my previous questions: How could someone who preaches love to the world be so hateful? Hmmm... isn't that interesting/humbling/irritating? I realized I have but only two things to offer as answers:
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of who I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." 1 Timothy 1:15-16
"I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all God's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ..." Ephesians 3:7-8
I hope that this can speak to each one of you, no matter what you're feeling about the recent events. May we look to everyone with more love and mercy, and look to ourselves with more humility in the coming days. 
And by the way, I'm glad God didn't let me sit in his seat for too long before he knocked me off, it's not that comfortable. I guess that show's it wasn't made for me!

4 comments:

  1. All I can say..I see what you are saying. And this is very tough...a delima sorta. But all I can say is I am glad that he is not here to lead others to destroy innocent lives. We cannot sit back and let the strange people of the world ruin lives of others and stir up such hate against nations. We cannot sit back and let government leaders kill or slaughter even their own people. We are trying to put a stop to those who have such a strong and evil influence of others to join in with them. It is the wars that have given us freedom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, I went into work today with several small flags that I passed out to my co-workers. Sorry, I thought it was a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. I hadnt thought of it that way. It really is a good point, and I very much agree.

    I'm taking that quote to put up on my post about this, hope you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Rach! SO perfectly put! I think maybe you are converting me a little sugar :) haha! I just feel as I've gotten a little older and had a little more life under my belt (which still isn't much!) that I want to show people more grace and love, since so much has been shown to me. Thank you for being so brave to post love :) Excellent excellent excellent. Oh and that skirt is BEYOND cute! I would really like to get together soon and maybe do chips and queso? Esp. if I move next week!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...